With the first named storm behind us, are you ready for the rest of the season?
There are many factors that have lead experts to believe we are in for an active season. NOAA is predicting a near or above average Atlantic Hurricane Season. Forecasters predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal season for the upcoming hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30.
Today we will be providing links and graphics for local emergency resources and just general prep information. We will also provide information about the different types of Hurricane Protection we offer to help protect your home.
Escambia County, Florida has resources on their page for Emergency Management. Check out MyEscambia BeReady for the latest storm information.
Here you will find a link to sign up for ALERT Escambia which will notify you of potential safety hazards or concerns in your area. Follow them on facebook for up to date information https://www.facebook.com/bereadyec.
Santa Rosa County, Florida has resources on their page for Emergency Management. Check out Santa Rosa County Emergency Management. Here you find links for what to do before, during and after an emergency. Follow them on Facebook, they have current and up to date information all the time www.facebook.com/SRCEmergencyManagement.
Okaloosa County, Florida has resources on their page for Emergency Management. They have links for evacuations zones, interactive tools for kids to learn how to plan for an emergency, called Kids Get a Plan!
What most of these links tell you in summary is:
Get informed of your resources and how to utilize them.
Locate your evacuation zone.
Decide NOW where you will go if ordered to evacuate
Get a weather radio
Make sure your street numbers are clearly visible on your home
Review your home owners or rental insurance policies
If you will stay during the storm make sure your disaster kit is ready. It should include things like:
Water: Drinking water, 1 gallon per person per day & water for sanitation use
Food: At least 3 days of non-perishable food per person
First Aid Kit: Sunblock and non-prescription drugs can be added to the kit.
Tools & Other Supplies: Basic hand tools in case you need to make some repairs, plastic sheeting, paper plates and plastic utensils. Things like batteries, flash lights, non-electric can opener, fire extinguisher, matches, aluminum foil, plastic storage containers, insect repellent and personal hygiene items. Big things you may need, tent, garbage cans, shovels and a chair saw.
Clothing & Bedding: Some clothing and bedding should be stored in waterproof boxes or other suitable containers. At least one change of clothes and shoes per person. Somethings you may need work boots, gloves, rain gear, blankets or sleeping bags, towels, hats and sunglasses.
Special items: Special need family members, infants need plenty of formula (if needed), bottles, diapers, and wipes. Adults and Children that are dependent on insulin or any other medications.
Have cash on hand.
Other things you should do if you chose to stay in your home for the storm. Trim the trees around your house. Secure all outdoor items. Cover windows with the proper plywood, steel or aluminum panels. Secure all your doors. Remember your garage door is your most venerable part of your home. Ensure it is ready for high winds or install brace to help secure it. Move your car to a safe location.
Corrugated Storm Panels: They are available in Clear Polycarbonate, and .050 Aluminum. They stack neatly into a tight stack for easier storage.
Accordian Shutters: These Tight stack against each other for cosmetic appeal and less obstruction. These stay in place all year.
Roll Shutters: These roll into place and are available in manual or electronic motors.
Bahama Shutters: Low profile look of traditional wooden shutter but the strength to and durability of Aluminum.
Colonial Shutters: Looks like traditional colonial decorative shutters but they are made of aluminum and offer exceptional protection for hurricane conditions.
Article and Source links: